shopping cart killjoy


I need new clothes. My virtual shopping cart has been overflowing with clothes and body ornaments carefully crafted. Decorative single-breasted skirt, planet print button down, puff sleeve textured knit top, mock neck short sleeve, vintage cuff ring in gold, not silver.

The shopping cart has been full for several months now but I can't bring myself to walk to the virtual checkout line.

Thrifting was easier when I was thinner than I currently am. I could morally be washed of my consumer sins. Thrifting is superior to buying new. Someone else has already done the dirty work for you. They have done the initial purchasing and you are saving the item from a landfill. You're not a consumer. You are a savior. 

I’ve been reading Made-Up: A True Story of BeautyCulture Under Late Capitalism by Daphné B. translated by Alex Manley. I’ve been reading it for a long time. This is where I came across the author Jacob Wren when Daphné B. quotes a tweet, “With anti-capitalists like me, capitalism is in no immediate danger”.

I love clothes and I hate feeling conflicted about my love for clothes yet here we are. Here I am. 





Comments