"the resource for my sense of decorum" (Bernadette Mayer)

I want to re-orient my gaze and senses to privilege ephemeral, passing, high-intensity self-decoration/outfitting. 

I like how it looks when my black swimsuit is on underneath my jeans, a "look" I only see for a second, when I take off my top in the YMCA locker room (and you of course know that the whole look of the shitty locker room is part of it, too!) and am standing at the mirror in a black swimsuit, jeans, and my watch still on. It looks good. But then it's over.

Instantly. 

Likewise, some ring combinations look good as I slide my mitten over them and get on my morning bus. 

Lately I have desired bright red socks. For something similar to happen.




Comments

  1. want to add here that i am not so sure that there is, anyway, an escape from FASHION's ephemerality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia – Swimsuit-jeans-watch: fabulous. Its confinement to a private space and fleeting moment reminds me of the private, lingering pool and house fashions of Dogtooth. I watched it for the first time the other day and I think it’ll now be with me always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i loooove dogtooth. we used to joke that that was how we were gonna rais lou. we should prob make lists of movies that either contain excellent fashions OR stimulate a fashion-outfit-feeling!

    might i also say that the tv show fosse/verdon has GREAT clothes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment