In the Style of

My ideal personal style belongs to Botticelli’s Portrait of a Young Man: wavy hair, wavy textures, a casually gestured ailment, Autumn, tomato. 

I’m so too in love with a pair of nubby Outdoor Voices sweatpants. We met in a promotional Vogue article about Katie Holmes rejecting “garments” in favor of “clothes.” After a day and night of our first wear, I hugged them my best before showering. 

Or, it’s like this: when the daughters dance side-by-side in Dogtooth, it’s a well-worn pattern, the same uniform steps on repeat, but then, when Older Daughter dances alone, it’s frantic, impassioned, very her. It’s also a patchwork remake of a classic scene in Flashdance. I feel I too am wholeheartedly scrambling into rebellious facsimile. Just look down at my shoes. 


Portrait of a Young Man (or Portrait of a Youth) by Sandro Botticelli - National Gallery of Art, Washington, D. C., online collection, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50462561
Portrait of a Young Man (or Portrait of a Youth)

Sandro Botticelli - National Gallery of Art,
Washington, D. C., online collection





Comments

  1. I love this idea of the "rebellious facsimile" . . . and I am trying to find the reductive language for my own impulses, which are, of course, adjacent to yours but different . . . I often find myself slipping into "midwestern lady"--no fuss jeans and shirt, my bulges treated as marks of my maturity and facility with driving a stick shift or lighting a fuse on an old furnace. I sometimes abhor this mode. I sometimes revel in its refusal to play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment