Affect Theory & Abrasion & the roving eye

 

 



So--what would a Fashion theory that privileges the roving eye (non-stop, hedonistic, gazing pleasure/feasting) mean for getting dressed?

Emily's red-squareness and Kat's plate have me thinking about the way that, if fashion (at least: the way we're describing it here) is the feelings and looking pleasures that guide our own getting dressed and "being" in a space, then might we theorize the relationship between looking and dressing AS swimming in the soup of Affect and as AS allowing the world's (and Capitalism's/and affections for others) sensations (in cacophony) to make marks upon us?

For example.





I love when I am reading in bed and look out at the wall containing (right now) a velvet painting received from my stepdad's old stuff, Loulou's newly created (constraint-based: we had to take a quiz about seasons and sensations) personalized-characters-as-gifts, the blue shelf of to-be-read-books, the junky bins of books, the fancy bookend (art deco I think) and its marble clashing so nicely with the blue shelves.






 

I don't like just one thing here. 

Would never isolate one single thing as "the" loveliest element; I like the collage.

I like the sensation of it all together.




And I like the looking.

And I like to then also look at my most favorite set of sheets we have. They're so delightful, but especially in conjunction with the blue, the marble, the broccoli-looking trees on velvet, the colors that Lou chose for the characters.


And thus I want to dress like this feeling.

Maybe I already do use a kind of collage-constraint. 
Juxtapositions. 
For example. 
I cannot stand to have all one "feeling" when I dress (publicly or privately).
I always need a thing to counteract the other dominant forces.

How to make the room act as an abrasion on my dressing.
How to harness the Affect of collage.
Am I only interested in it for myself or do I seek to present it?

Comments

  1. The nirvana I aspire to: a personal look in total harmony; not just the single things adorning my body.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment